Connect with us

Naija News

SERAP drags FG to UN over Sowore, others’ detention

Published

on

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has sent a complaint to the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention over the detention of a human rights activist and publisher of Saharareporters, Omoyele Sowore, and four other activists for protesting on New Year Eve protest.

It had been reported that Sowore, Juwon Sanyaolu, Peter Williams, Emmanuel Bulus and Damilare Adenola. were on Monday ordered to be remanded in Kuje Correctional Centre by a Magistrates’ Court in Wuse Zone 2, Abuja pending the consideration of their bail applications on Tuesday (today).

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

They were earlier arrested for holding a protest against bad governance on New Year’s Eve in Abuja and subsequently taken to a police unit infamously known as ‘Abattoir’ in the Lokogoma area of the FCT.

SERAP in a statement on Tuesday by its deputy director, Kolawole Oluwadare, said the complaint was sent to the UN body on Monday, January 4.

The organisation demanded the release of the detained activists and a probe into their arrest and detention.

Part of the statement read, “The detention of Omoyele Sowore and four other activists constitutes an arbitrary deprivation of their liberty because it does not have any legal justification. The detention also does not meet minimum international standards of due process.

“The arrest, continued detention and torture and ill-treatment of Mr Sowore and four other activists solely for peacefully exercising their human rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly is a flagrant violation of the Nigerian Constitution, 1999 (as amended) and international human rights law. They are now facing bogus charges simply for exercising their human rights.

“We urge the Working Group to request the Nigerian government to investigate and hold accountable all police officers and security agents suspected to be responsible for the unlawful arrest, continued detention, and torture and other ill-treatment of Mr Sowore and four other activists.”

The organisation also wants the Federal Government to award Sowore and four other activists compensation “for the violations they suffered as a result of their unlawful arrest, arbitrary detention, torture, and other ill-treatment.”

READ ALSO:

No Evidence to Prosecute Indicted SARS Operatives Says AGF

Federal Government Releases N14.92b Retirees’ Accrued Rights

Nigeria Army Lift Suspension On UNICEF

Dasuki Request 5bn Damages Rejected – On-Going Cases

Health News

Cholera outbreak: Benue warns against use of contaminated water

Published

on

Cholera outbreak

Following the outbreak of cholera in two local government areas of Benue State, the government has directed people living in the river bank to stop using contaminated water.

No fewer than 14 people were reported to have died of cholera in Guma and Agatu Local Government Areas of the state.

The State Commissioner for Health and Human Services, Dr Joseph Ngbea who advised residents living at river bank also appealed to people of the state to be wary of contaminated water. He said that this is the common problem across the country at the moment as he appealed to the people to be mindful of the source of their water.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

“This is a common problem across the country at this time of the year so we appeal to everyone to be sure of the source of water we consume, and if not sure please ensure that you treat your water before drinking,” the Commissioner advised. The Commissioner said the state government had taken steps to contain the spread of the disease with the deployment of drugs and medical personnel to the affected areas to provide treatment for the victims. “Aside from the medical personnel, we have also supplied consumables and drugs to the affected areas in line with the directive of Governor Samuel Ortom to ensure the speedy treatment of all those infected.

The Commissioner added that the State Governor, Samuel Ortom had directed the Benue State University Teaching Hospital to provide additional ten bed spaces to take care of those infected.

READ ALSO:

It’s dangerous to introduce COVID-19 vaccine in Nigeria now – Virologists

Troops of Operation Whirl Stroke Neutralizes Armed Bandits, Recover Arms in Benue and Nasarawa States

362 Ghost Workers Earning N20m Monthly Discovered In Ekiti

 

Continue Reading

Naija News

Andy Murray tests positive for COVID-19

Published

on

Andy tested

Former world number one Andy Murray has tested positive for coronavirus.

The 33-year-old Brit had been preparing for the year’s first Grand Slam, the Australian Open.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACSBOOK

He was due to travel to Australia on one of the 18 charter flights laid on by tournament organisers but is still isolating at home.

Murray, who is said to be in good health, is hoping to be able to arrive in Australia at a later date and still participate in the tournament which begins on February 8.

Three-time Grand Slam winner Murray is a five-time finalist at the Melbourne event.

READ ALSO:

FOOTBALL: PAPA BOUBA DIOP DIES AGED 42

Bosso names 20 for WAFU U20 Cup of Nations

Ladan Bosso Bidding to Fix the Wings of Flying Eagles

 

Continue Reading

Naija News

China records first COVID-19 death in eight months

Published

on

China dead

China recorded its first COVID-19 death in eight months on Thursday, as experts huddled to discuss worrying new strains of the coronavirus that are spreading rapidly around the globe.

The gathering in Geneva of the World Health Organization’s emergency committee comes as their colleagues landed in Wuhan for a long-delayed mission to find the origins of the virus.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

More than 91 million people have been infected, with almost two million of them dying, according to figures widely thought to be an underestimate.

Much of the planet is enveloped in a second or third wave of the disease, with populations chafing under painful and economically damaging restrictions.

China — where the virus first emerged — has again locked down millions of people as it fights to control a fresh outbreak that has now claimed its first victim, sparking anguish on social media.

Beijing has argued Wuhan might not be where the virus originated, only where it was first identified.

“I don’t think we will have clear answers after this initial mission, but we will be on the way,” Embarek added.

Regardless of the virus’s origins, scientists say large-scale vaccination is the only way to escape its ravages.

Programmes have spluttered into life in a number of countries, although progress is slower than many are hoping.

In the United States, where more than 4,000 people are dying every day from the disease, around 10 million have received the first shot.

California’s Disneyland threw open its doors Wednesday as a vaccination site, with 81-year-old Gary Dohman near the front of the queue.

“Easy — a piece of cake, nothing to it. Didn’t even feel it go in,” he said after getting his injection.

“I’ve been cooped up in a house for 10 months, can’t go anywhere. I want to get my second shot and do a little traveling.”

READ ALSO:

COVID-19: China Stopped Who From Raising Alarm –CIA reports

POLICE RECRUITMENT: OVER 3000 APPLICANTS SCREENED IN 7 DAYS IN KADUNA

Disease X : Doctor who discovered Ebola warns of deadly viruses yet to come

 

Continue Reading
COVID-19 PREVENTION

infectious diseases in your community. It is very important to wash your hand frequently with soap under running water.

COVID-19 IS REAL

#COVID19NIGERIA Situation Report

The #COVID19Nigeria situation report for 21st July, 2020 has been published. Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria

The #COVID19Nigeria situation report for 21st July, 2020 has been published. Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria

@Africa CDC

The African Union and Africa CDC will virtually rollout the Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) in Africa tomorrow 4 June, 2020 at 11.00 am Eastern Africa Time.

The African Union and Africa CDC will virtually rollout the Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) in Africa tomorrow 4 June, 2020 at 11.00 am Eastern Africa Time.

GALLANT OFFICER

Gallant Officer
"Also found worthy of honour was Bashir Abubakar, an Asst Comptroller-General of Customs, who rejected a bribe of $412,000 per container offered him by drug traffickers seeking to bring 40 containers of Tramadol into Nigeria. A fine example of incorruptibility, worthy of emulation"

Currency Calculator

Currency Calculator

Amount
From :
To :

Trending