Connect with us

Naija News

We’ll review suspended strike in July – Resident doctors

Published

on

Resident doctors

We’ll review suspended strike in July – Resident doctors

NARD said it shelved the strike to give the government time to meet outstanding demands, following an appeal by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, Chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Dr Kayode Fayemi, and other stakeholders.

NARD said this in a communiqué issued in Abuja on Sunday and signed by its President, Dr Aliyu Sokomba; Secretary-General, Dr Bilqis Muhammad; and Publicity Secretary, Dr Stanley Egbogu, after its National Executive Council meeting, attended by over 300 members.

Sokomba, who read the communiqué to journalists, said, “The NEC deliberated extensively on the ongoing NARD strike that commenced on June 15, 2020 following her Emergency General Meeting to consider the federal and state governments’ responses to the minimum requirements.

ALSO READ:

“The NEC acknowledges the provision of the Personal Protective Equipment to some hospitals. These PPEs are consumables and non-reusable, therefore the need for sustained supply.”

The union said COVID-19 inducement allowance “has only been paid to 11 federal health institutions and most state governments have yet to review the hazard allowance of health workers.”

NARD also said it observed during the meeting that the medical residency training funding had been included in the revised 2020 budget through the intervention of the Speaker, House of Representatives and would be implemented as soon as the budget was assented to by the President.

“At the same time, we await the fulfillment of the promise made by the Nigeria Governors’ Forum to ensure same is done in all the states.

“On the salary shortfall for 2014-2016, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation has promised to intervene. The government has shown commitment to procure group life insurance for health workers.”

Meanwhile, the Federal Government lamented on Sunday that the NARD strike impacted negatively on public health.

It said the strike succeeded in putting many lives, including those of members of NARD, at risk while it lasted.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said this at a press conference he addressed in Abuja on Sunday shortly before the association suspended its strike, which he described as inexplicable.

Mohammed was joined at the press conference by the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire; and the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige.

The association had embarked on the strike at the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum issued to the Federal Government on June 1.

But Mohammed said, “There is no doubt that the strike has impacted negatively on public health, putting many lives, including those of their members, at risk. This is not right and it clearly negates the Hippocratic Oath to which the doctors subscribe.

“While the Federal Government continues to engage the resident doctors in negotiation, we want to use this opportunity to appeal to them to respect their oath and put life above other considerations. This is an ill-timed and ill-considered strike.”

He said the implementation of the residency training programme was backed by the National Assembly, which provided N4bn in the revised 2020 budget, while the Ministry of Health was working with the Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission to build a template to guarantee same in the Personnel Cost of 2021 Budget.

The minister said 55,031 health workers in 35 COVID-19 designated hospitals and medical centres had been paid special hazard allowances totaling N4,642,485,146.00 as of Sunday.

Mohammed said the government had also paid N9bn as premium for Group Life Insurance to all health workers.

He said, “The government has bent over backwards to meet the demands of the striking doctors. We must express the government’s consternation that resident doctors will choose a time like this, when we are battling a pandemic, to embark on a strike.”

Join us on FACEBOOK

Naija News

#EndSARS: Governor Oyetola suspends curfew in Osun

Published

on

#EndSARS

The governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola, has suspended the 24-hour curfew he imposed on the state to tackle the rising violence and damages caused by hoodlums under the #EndSARS protests.

Mr Oyetola in a statement by the secretary of the state government, Wole Oyebamiji, noted the high level of compliance with the 24-hour curfew he had declared to forestall breakdown of law and order.

He said after a review and setting up of a panel of inquiry, the governor decided to lift the curfew.

On the MoU, “The state government has further approved henceforth 100% payment of monthly pensions for retirees earning N30,000 and below while other retirees not in the said category shall be paid 75% of their monthly pensions.

“After reviewing the situation of the last 48 hours and following the inauguration of the State’s Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality, the Governor, Mr. Adegboyega Oyetola, hereby suspends the 24-hour curfew, effective from today, Friday, October 23, 2020 till further notice.

Continue Reading

Crime Watch

ATTACK ON AKBC and FACILITIES IN UYO ( Watch Video)

Published

on

 

The Nigeria Union of Journalists, Akwa Ibom State Council, condemns in the strongest terms the destruction on the Akwa Ibom Broadcasting Corporation, Administrative Building located along Udo Udoma Avenue, Uyo and other facilities within the metropolis by hoodlums masquerading as #ENDSARS protesters.

These attacks are uncalled for and meaningless. Certainly, this is not the way to go. It is a classic case of blaming the doctor for the disease of the victim.

We urge security agencies to be on top of the situation to prevent further wanton destruction of lives and property and also ensure that perpetrators of these dastardly acts are brought to book in accordance with the laws of our State.

The Union further commends His Excellency, Governor Udom Emmanuel for the swift response to the ugly development by imposing a curfew in the State to control the situation.

Incase You Missed:

Television continental also known as TVC set on fire

Gunmen Attack Akwa Ibom Governors former aide

Breaking Ikoyi prison under attack by suspected hoodlums

youths burns down sanwo olus family home on lagos island

boko haram attacks dapchi military kills scores of the terrorists

Popular Rapper – We #EndSARS Shall Return After The Curfew

#EndSARS: State Governors Begin Inauguration of Judicial Panel

#EndSARS: Ogun State Governor Abiodun Commiserates with Families of Victims

#EndSARS Protesters Launch “Soro Soke’’ Radio

#EndSARS: Super Eagles may boycott AFCON qualifiers

NGF Appeals to #EndSARS Protesters to Stop Protest

#EndSARS Protesters Killed in Edo State(

nigerian south west hunters offers help to join soldiers against boko haram

Continue Reading

Naija News

#EndSARS: Super Eagles may boycott AFCON qualifiers

Published

on

Super Eagles

There are strong indications that some Super Eagles stars may boycott next month’s 2021 Africa Cup of Nation double-header against Sierra Leone over safety concerns.

#EndSARS protests against police brutality and extrajudicial killings have rocked the country in the last two weeks, with the military and police killing peaceful protesters.

On Tuesday, eyewitnesses claim about seven lives were lost, with several others injured when soldiers opened fire on protesters in a bid to disperse them from the Lekki toll gate in Lagos — a focal demonstration ground for the #EndSARS campaign.

Watch Our Youtube Video:

Our correspondent gathered that the overseas-based players were afraid of returning to Nigeria for Eagles games, for fear of being killed or maimed.

Super Eagles midfielder John Ogu wrote on Twitter, “The Politicians should ask their children to represent Nigeria in the next @NGSuperEagles @thenff upcoming games. I’m so devastated like right now.”

READ ALSO:

Nigerian Economy Losses N700Bn to EndSars Protest – LCCI

Southern Kaduna Killings – Nigeria Army Have Limited Manpower

“We can’t be representing a country that kills our brothers and sisters. This killings and unrest must stop or we stay away,” another player based in Belgium said.

Leicester City and Super Eagles’ forward, Kelechi Iheanacho posted a cryptic message on Twitter with a broken heart emoji to express his dismay at the recent killings.

“God is watching. It will end in praise. We will keep speaking up,” he wrote.

Income You Missed:

Thugs Set Apapa Iganmu Police Station in Lagos on Fire(Opens in a new browser tab)

FG Begins Implementation of Mass Housing Project(Opens in a new browser tab)

Continue Reading
COVID-19 PREVENTION

infectious diseases in your community. It is very important to wash your hand frequently with soap under running water.

COVID-19 IS REAL

#COVID19NIGERIA Situation Report

The #COVID19Nigeria situation report for 21st July, 2020 has been published. Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria

The #COVID19Nigeria situation report for 21st July, 2020 has been published. Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria

@Africa CDC

The African Union and Africa CDC will virtually rollout the Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) in Africa tomorrow 4 June, 2020 at 11.00 am Eastern Africa Time.

The African Union and Africa CDC will virtually rollout the Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) in Africa tomorrow 4 June, 2020 at 11.00 am Eastern Africa Time.

GALLANT OFFICER

Gallant Officer
"Also found worthy of honour was Bashir Abubakar, an Asst Comptroller-General of Customs, who rejected a bribe of $412,000 per container offered him by drug traffickers seeking to bring 40 containers of Tramadol into Nigeria. A fine example of incorruptibility, worthy of emulation"

Currency Calculator

Currency Calculator

Amount
From :
To :

Trending