Connect with us

Labour Force

Lagos Assembly moves to review controversial land use charge

Published

on

Lagos Assembly moves to review controversial land use charge

Lagos Assembly moves to review controversial land use charge

• Ambode appeals for dialogue
• DSS queries Ikeja NBA’s anti-policy meeting

The Lagos State House of Assembly has set up a six-man ad hoc committee to review the controversial 2018 land use charge in the state.The Speaker of the House, Mr. Mudashiru Obasa disclosed this at the plenary yesterday.He urged the people to participate in the second public hearing to have the opportunity to express their grievances.

The speaker disclosed that public hearing was done when the land use charge was in process, before its passage and transmission to the governor for assent.“We invited the public, but we didn’t hear much from them. If only they had responded at that time, probably we would have done what would be acceptable to all.

“This review is another opportunity for people to be part of the process. This is because it would be very difficult to separate government from taxation. Governance has to be run based on the taxes collected by the government. So we have to look for ways to balance it,” he said.

Members of the committees are Chairman House Committee on Lands, Mr. Bayo Oshinowo, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, Mr. Yinka Ogundimu, and Chairman, House Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Petitions, Mr. Funmilayo Tejuosho.Others are Chairman, House Committee on Information, Strategy and Security, Mr. Tunde Braimoh, with members as Mr. Jude Idimogu (APC-Oshodi-Isolo II) and Mr. Olusola Sokunle (APC-Oshodi-Isolo I)

Meanwhile, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode has urged critics of the new charges to lodge their complaints through the state’s online platform.He urged the residents to lodge their complaints through on-citizens state online, info.lagos ministry of justice, a toll free line 767, and the hotline-08093929329.He said he had displayed his administration’s commitment to the policy of inclusive government, with a 50 per cent reduction in the charges.

Meanwhile, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) yesterday questioned the meeting by the Ikeja branch of the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA).The meeting was to discuss the outcome of the protest, which the association held last week against the land use Act.Although, they did not disrupt the gathering, they claimed that they were on a peaceful mission to observe the meeting.

In the course of the meeting, members of the association hinted on plans to stage another protest, adding that the ‘reduced land use charge’ was unacceptable.Ogunlana said the branch would stage another session tagged “walk the talk” to protest against the over 400 per cent increase in the land use charge and another over 300 per cent charge in car registration.

These, they said, was without having a dialogue with the relevant stakeholders. Ogunlana lamented that if these regimes of taxes were allowed to stay, Lagos State would be a living hell.The NBA chairman cautioned the government against hiding under developing Lagos into a mega-smart city to kill the residents with ‘pharaoric taxes.’

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Labour Force

No Petrol Price Hike in June, Says FG

Published

on

By

No Petrol Price Hike in June, Says FG

The Federal Government on Friday said it would not increase petrol price in June despite the recommendation by the Nigeria Governors Forum that the cost of the commodity is increased.

A committee set up by the Nigeria Governor’s Forum had on Wednesday recommended a petrol price of between N408.5/litre and N380/litre, and also called for immediate removal of petrol subsidy.

However, in a statement issued and signed by the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva, in Abuja on Friday, the government ruled out the possibility of a hike in petrol price any time soon.

The minister guaranteed Nigerians that the cost of the commodity would remain the same at between N162/litre and N165/litre.

Watch Our YouTube Videos

Sylva said, “Once again it has become necessary to assure Nigerians that despite the huge burden of under-recovery, the Federal Government is not in a hurry to increase the price of Premium Motor Spirit (petrol) to reflect current market realities.

“The current price of petrol will be retained in the month of June until the ongoing engagement with organised labour is concluded.”

“This clarification becomes necessary in the light of recent reports regarding the resolution of the Nigeria Governors Forum to increase the pump price of petrol.” He added.

The minister stated that he would like to strongly urge petroleum products marketers, not to engage in any activity that could jeopardise the supply and distribution system in place.

Incase You Missed:

Governors Forum Sues for Accurate Dissemination of Information

COVID-19: NMA Predicts Hike in Cases as a Result of NIN Registration

Nigerian Government Lifts Ban on Emirates Airline

FEC approves $3.1 Billion for Customs

Continue Reading

Labour Force

NIMC Calls for Reduced Public Panic

Published

on

By

SIM CARDS NIMC

The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) on Thursday said that there is no cause for panic regarding the two weeks deadline for deactivation of subscribers identity module (sim) cards that are not linked with users’ national identity number (NIN).

The Commission explained that adequate arrangements have been made to capture the data of 200 million Nigerians within the next five years.

Click to Watch Our YouTube Videos

It added that the steps taken so far to ensure that all subscribers have NIN in their sim cards are meant to address the security challenges facing the country.

The Commission also said the telecommunications operators would be involved in the exercise.

The Spokesman of NIMC,  Kayode Adegoke said that government has approved licensing of over 200 institutions to carry out “enrolment of Nigerians and legal residents into the national identity database on behalf of the national identity management commission.”

Adegoke said the initiative was aimed at addressing the bottlenecks associated with the capturing of citizens data by NIMC.

He added that the method would increase the enrolment centres from the current 1,000 to 10,000 across the country.

He said the NIMC is desirous of scaling up its assignment to regulatory functions after the completion of the exercise.

Incase You Missed:

Court Rejects EFCCs Appeal to Revoke Bail Granted to Fani-Kayode in Alleged N26M Fraud Trial

NCC: New mobile Internet subscriptions declined to 2.51 million amid Lockdown

India records 77,266 new cases, 1,057 deaths in a day

Importers, others Count Loses As Customs Unseal Bonded Terminal

Continue Reading

Labour Force

FCTA Set to Implement Minimum Wage for FCT Workers

Published

on

FCTA

The Federal capital territory administration, says it will implement the national minimum wage for workers in the territory to avert another strike.

Click to Watch Our YouTube Videos

Hajia Ramatu Aliyu, FCT minister of state, disclosed this in a statement issued by her special assistant on media, Austin Elemue, on Tuesday in Abuja.

She noted that immediately after the two unions threatened to embark on the strike, the administration engaged all stakeholders with a view to finding a solution to the problem.

According to her, this led to the constitution of a multi-stakeholder ministerial committee on the implementation of the new national minimum wage in area councils and local education authorities of the six area councils.

Continue Reading

Trending