Connect with us

Newsroom

100 Days after Twitter Ban; FG’S Plan still Unknown

Published

on

100 Days after Twitter Ban; FG’S Plan still Unknown

The Federal Government’s promise that the ban placed on the popular micro-blogging platform, Twitter, will be lifted soon appears to be fading away, as the suspension hits 100 days today.
The Federal Government had announced the suspension of Twitter operations in the country on June 4, after the social media giant deleted a post by President Muhammadu Buhari for what it termed “violation of the company’s abusive behaviour policy.”

By June 5th, the suspension was effected by telecommunications companies as Nigerians woke up to a Twitter shutdown across all platforms.

Three months down the line, it appears no truce has been formally reached by the two parties or better still, they have been sluggish in agreeing on the way forward.
Though, on August 19, the Information and Culture Minister, Lai Mohammed, disclosed that from the 10 demands put forward to lift Twitter suspension, the social networking platform had acceded to seven.

Mohammed actually disclosed this in Washington DC during his engagement with various global media outlets, global think tanks, and influencers. He said his engagement was to put across the correct narratives about what is happening in Nigeria, showcase government achievements, and present challenges facing the country.

The minister said among the demands made from Twitter was for the platform to register as a Nigerian company, pay taxes from revenue made from the country and ensure that harmful contents are regulated.

Though, he argued that the Twitter ban had been very effective in the country because they see less harmful and injurious content on social media.

Follow us on Facebook
But 25 days after the Minister disclosed the government’s readiness to lift the ban, Nigerians, who appeared to be anxious, have since been kept in the dark as there has been no further communication either from the government or the social media giant.

It, however, appears the administration is on course to continue the ban until the end of the year, despite signalling initially, that a reversal was imminent though some sources say the matter would be resolved in due time.

Read Also:

FG Embarks on Biometric Enumeration of Pupils on School Feeding Programme

Nigeria Opens Portal for Fellowship Programme, Targets 200,000 Graduates

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Newsroom

Rivers State Govt. Approves N5bn for Development of Medical Facilities

Published

on

Rivers State Govt. Approves N5bn for Development of Medical Facilities

The Executive Council of the Rivers State Government on Wednesday approved over N5 Billion Naira required for the revamping of the Prof. Kersley Harrison Hospital and the Dental and Maslofacial Hospital located in Port Harcourt.

Speaking to journalists after the meeting, Commissioner for Health, Princewill Chike said, the approved sum will be spent on renovation, rehabilitation and installation of medical equipment at the health facilities.

Follow us on Facebook

The Commissioner said the work at the Prof. Kersley Harrison hospital is expected to last for a period of thirteen months and when completed, it will be an affiliate of the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital, to add to the training of medical doctors and medical personnel.

Read Also:

Chike also speaking about the approval given for the revamp of the Dental and Maslofacial Hospital, said when completed it will also be affiliated to the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital for the training of medical personnel.

The Health Commissioner who equally lamented that the figures Covid-19 cases in the state has continued to grow, called on residents to avoid crowdy area, wash their hands regularly and also wear their facemasks.

Read Also: CBN Directs Niger State Banks to Continue Strike Amid Tax Crisis

 

Continue Reading

Newsroom

Akwa Ibom Governor Signs the Anti-Grazing Bill into Law

Published

on

Akwa Ibom Governor Signs the Anti-Grazing Bill into Law

Akwa lbom State governor, Mr Udom Emmanuel, has signed into Law a bill to prohibit open rearing and grazing of livestock and provide for the establishment of ranches in the state.

The Speaker, Aniekan Bassey, with the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Uko Udom (SAN), presented the bill for signing on Wednesday at the State Executive Chambers, in the Governor’s Office, Uyo.

The governor, after signing the bill into law, stated that the new law was no respecter of persons irrespective of status or calibre.

He instructed relevant authorities of government to ensure that, the bill is implemented and enforced to the letter with strict compliance, stressing that, culprits must be brought to book accordingly.

Follow us on Facebook

The new law will promote modern techniques in animal husbandry, prevent the destruction of farms by wandering cattle while reducing clashes and killings between herders and farmers in the state.

It will also promote international best practices in livestock administration, regulation and control in the state, among other things.

Read Also:

Osun Assembly Passes Anti-Open Grazing Bill, Others

ACCI Sets up 8-man Committee on NITDA Bill

Continue Reading

Newsroom

Doctors Strike: Court Fixes Sept 17 For Ruling, As Parties Agree to Negotiation

Published

on

Court Fixes Sept 17 For Ruling, As Parties Agree to Negotiation

The National Industrial Court has fixed September 17th to rule on the application of jurisdiction and contempt of court, filed by both the Federal Government and the Association of Nigerian Resident Doctors.

At the resumed hearing on Wednesday, counsel to the striking resident doctors, Femi Falana (SAN), told the court that he had an application challenging the jurisdiction of the court to entertain the case.

The counsel to the Federal Government, Tochukwu Maduka (SAN), however, pointed out that the issue of contempt of the court, by the resident doctors, should be heard first, before that of the jurisdiction.

Follow us on Facebook

He added that there was an order by the court that the resident doctors and the Federal Government should suspend all hostilities and maintain the status quo, but the doctors did not obey the court order.

According to him, the strike action, embarked upon on August 2 by the resident doctors has wreaked untold suffering on the citizenry, amounting to numerous deaths of persons.

After listening to the submission of both parties, Justice Bashar Alkali fixed September 17 to rule.

Read Also:

Nicki Minaj’s Husband Kenneth ‘Petty Pleads Guilty Over Failing to Register as Sex Offender

Jamie Spears `Dragging Feet` On Conservatorship

Continue Reading

Trending