Connect with us

Foreign

School Teacher, Pedro Castillo Declared Peru’s New President

Published

on

School Teacher, Pedro Castillo Declared Peru’s New President

Former School teacher, Pedro Castillo has been declared Peru’s president-elect, six weeks after elections during which the results were delayed by claims of electoral fraud from his right-wing rival, Keiko Fujimori.

Jorge Luis Salas, head of the elections jury, announced his victory in a brief virtual ceremony on Monday night.

Castillo, a 51-year-old former school teacher and union leader, secured just over 50% of the votes. He becomes the first non-rich president of Peru, and is to be sworn in as Peru’s president on 28 July, 2021.

Follow us on Facebook

In a short speech after the declaration, Castillo said, “On behalf of my family I would like to salute the electoral authorities, and also to salute the political parties that have taken part in this democratic celebration”.

Castillo won last month’s election by a margin of only 44,000 votes, beating Fujimori in her third bid for the presidency. He has previously claimed victory, but a series of legal challenges by Fujimori delayed an official verdict from election officials.

Read Also:

Senate Approves 20-Year Jail for Ballot Box Snatchers

Enugu head teacher arrested for defiling four pupils

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

Israel Minister to Discuss Pegasus Scandal in France Visit

Published

on

Israel Minister to Discuss Pegasus Scandal in France Visit

Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz will meet his French counterpart in Paris this week for talks that will include an “update” on the Pegasus spyware scandal, his office said Tuesday.

A ministry statement said Gantz will leave Wednesday for talks with French Defence Minister Florence Parly on topics including the crisis in Lebanon, nuclear negotiations with Iran and the Pegasus malware made by Israeli firm NSO, which was allegedly used to target President Emmanuel Macron.

Pegasus, which is able to switch on a phone’s camera or microphone and harvest its data, is at the centre of a storm after a list of about 50,000 potential surveillance targets were leaked to human rights groups.

Follow us on Facebook

Israel’s defence establishment has set up a committee to review the firm’s business, including the process through which export licenses are granted.

Pegasus’s list of alleged targets includes at least 180 journalists, 600 politicians, 85 human rights activists and 65 business leaders.

However, NSO insists its software is only intended for use in fighting terrorism and other crimes, and says it exports to 45 countries.

Read Also:

Sign Death Warrant of 3,008 Condemned Inmates, Aregbesola Tells Governors

Israel PM Hails Gaza Operation as ‘Exceptional Success’

Continue Reading

Foreign

Iranian MPs Postpone Internet Restriction Bill

Published

on

Iranian MPs Postpone Internet Restriction Bill

Iran’s parliament has suspended its review of a highly controversial bill that a minister, citizens and businesses say will only lead to more internet restrictions in the country.

The bill, first proposed three years ago, is titled “Protecting Users in Cyberspace and Organizing Social Media” but critics say it is aimed at introducing more controls in a country where most prominent global services are already banned.

Follow us on Facebook

Iran’s Minister of Information and Communications Technology, Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi denounced the bill in letters to parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and President-elect Ebrahim Raisi that surfaced recently.

The outgoing minister said the bill will limit users’ free access to information, weaken the government’s role in cyberspace decision-making, and make the ministry practically obsolete.

However, for it to become law, it will still need to be approved by the Guardian Council, a hard-line constitutional vetting body.

Read Also:

Rwanda goes back into Lockdown to Curb Covid-19 Cases

Sunday Igboho Arrested with Nigerian, German Passports, Lawyer says

Continue Reading

Foreign

Germany to Return 7,000 Artefacts to Nigeria in October 2021

Published

on

Germany to Return 7,000 Artefacts to Nigeria in October 2021

Nigeria’s government has said that at least 7,000 artefacts that were stolen from the Benin Kingdom are expected to be repatriated by Germany to Nigeria not later than October 2021.

This follows the advanced stage of discussions between Nigeria and Germany on the return of thousands of different pieces of Benin bronzes back to the country.

This disclosure was made by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Gabriel Aduda, while speaking at the Inaugural Nigerian Cultural Show, exhibiting Nigeria’s diverse cultural heritage, sites and traditional festivals held at the Cultural Centre, Nigeria House, New York.

Follow us on Facebook

Aduda said the reparation of the artefacts would go with building an ultramodern museum in Edo and the training of some curators who would manage the artefacts.

The permanent secretary further commended the Consulate-General in New York for inaugurating in April, a Culture Centre and Library, equipped with books, cultural artefacts, research materials and historic documents on Nigeria for public use.

Read Also:

Sunday Igboho: Benin Republic may reject Nigeria’s extradition request, says Akintoye

TOTAL Nigeria Announces its Revenue Rose to 41.82% for 6-years

CAN Felicitates with Muslims on Eid-el-Kabir

Continue Reading

Trending