Connect with us

COVID-19

Minister of Health Appoints National Task Team On COVID-19 Vaccine

Published

on

The Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire has appointed a National Task Team on COVID-19 vaccines. This was disclosed in a press release from the office of the permanent secretary, ministry of health.

The Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire has appointed a National Task Team on COVID-19 vaccines.

This was disclosed in a press release from the office of the permanent secretary, ministry of health.

Click to Watch Our YouTube Videos

According to the press release the duties of the task team will include reviewing all COVID-19 vaccines in phase III clinical trials and deciding which is most effective

It will also proffer advise to the government on access, acquisition and distribution of the vaccine when it becomes available.

Members of the task team includes the Minister of Health who is the Chairman of the team, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, the Director-General of the NCDC, Representatives of the world health organization among others.

Incase You Missed:

university-of-ibadan-elects-new-acting-vice-chancellor

ekiti-state-government-declares-war-against-hike-in-food-prices

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

COVID-19

BioNTech to produce two billion Covid-19 vaccine doses in 2021

Published

on

COVID-19 VACCINE

German company BioNTech, which developed the first coronavirus vaccine approved in the West, said Monday it expects to produce two billion doses in 2021, up from the 1.3 billion previously forecast.
“We now believe that we can potentially deliver approximately 2 billion doses in total by the end of 2021, which incorporates the updated six-dose label,” said the company, referring to an additional dose that could be extracted from each vial of the vaccine.
European regulators last week approved doctors drawing six doses from each vial, boosting dosage capacity by 20 percent.
The Mainz-based company, which developed the jab with US giant Pfizer, is planning to open a new factory in Marburg, Germany, in February, expected to ramp up production capacity by 750 million doses a year.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
The site will join five other sites in Germany, Belgium and the US shared with Pfizer.
The company said it had shipped nearly 33 million doses by January 10, more than a month after Britain became the first Western nation to approve any vaccine on December 2.
BioNTech’s announcement comes after the EU agreed to raise its orders of the vaccine by 200 million doses, with an option for another 100 million.
But the vaccination rollout has been criticised across Europe, with sluggish starts in nations like France and the Netherlands.
The company added that Covid-19 will “likely become an endemic disease”, and that vaccines would need to fight against the emergence of new viral variants and a “naturally waning immune response”.
The German company said last week that studies show its vaccine works against the new mutation found in variants uncovered in Britain and South Africa.

Read Also:

NIN ENROLMENT REPORTEDLY RESUMES AT NIMC OFFICES NATIONWIDE(Opens in a new browser tab)

There’ll be orderly transition on January 20 —Trump(Opens in a new browser tab)

Spain to Set up Registry of People who Refuse to Take Coronavirus Vaccine(Opens in a new browser tab)

Saudi Arabia Kicks Off Coronavirus Vaccination Campaign(Opens in a new browser tab)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Hospitals won’t be able to handle serious COVID-19 cases soon — NCDC

Published

on

handle cases

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control says the country is now reaching a critical level, adding that the hospital capacity will no longer be able to cope with more serious COVID-19 cases.

The Director-General of the NCDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, said this in a series of tweets on Monday while reacting to the spike in COVID-19 infections in the last one month.

Ihekweazu said this as the fear of COVID-19 spread at the National Identity Management Commission grew on Monday because Nigerians besieged the NIMC offices following the workers’ suspension of the strike they embarked upon on Thursday.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Recall that Nigerians have been trooping to the NIMC offices since December 14, 2020 when the Federal Government ordered telecommunications firms to disconnect telephone lines of subscribers who failed to link their NIN to their subscriber identification modules.

No fewer than 164 million Nigerians, whose telephone lines could be disconnected on the grounds of not having the NIN, have been thronging NIMC offices, disregarding COVID-19 protocols such as wearing of face masks and social distancing.

The matter came to a head on Thursday when the NIMC workers began a strike over the fear of COVID-19 spread in the agency.

The President of the Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria, NIMC unit, Asekokhai Lucky, had exclusively said on Thursday that three workers of the agency at its headquarters had been infected with COVID-19.

The Minister of State for Health, Dr. Olorunnimbe Mamora, had, on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme earlier on Monday said the Federal Government might soon suspend the registration for the NIN.

The minister said, “My understanding is that the whole process may be suspended so as to reorder the whole process in terms of management of the crowd because it was never intended that it would become a rowdy process like

that. So people may have to wait and be called at intervals to go through the process.

But later at a press conference of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Mamora ruled out the suspension or postponement of the NIN, blaming the challenges on the attitude of Nigerians.

Mamora stressed the need to avoid crowding as was seen under the guise of NIN enrolment.

He said, “There is absolutely no cause for this, if only people would voluntarily comply with advisories and guidelines as issued by the Ministry of Communications and its relevant agency.

“The statement credited to me on the social media as to the suspension of the exercise is out of context, hence misleading. For the avoidance of doubt, Mr. President’s order on the matter remains as being carried out by the relevant ministry.

Mamora added that the result from the tests conducted on prospective National Youth Service Corps members had confirmed that no part of the country was free of COVID-19.

The minister also said that the plan of the Federal Government regarding activation of oxygen availability in the states was on course with a view to effecting immediate repairs of non-functional oxygen plants.

On his part, Ihekweazu, in a series of tweets on Monday, said Nigeria was reaching a critical level, adding that the hospital capacity would no longer be able to cope with serious COVID-19 cases.

The NCDC DG tweeted, “We are reaching a critical level where our hospital capacity will no longer be able to cope with more serious COVID-19 cases and health workers will be forced to make tough decisions. We need to protect our more vulnerable citizens.

“We all have to take responsibility. This is not for the NCDC, the PTF or government alone. By organising large gatherings indoors, you’re not only putting yourself and guests at risk, but also the staff who have limited choice but to serve. By going to clubs, you’re putting your parents at risk.”

Ihekweazu added that the number of coronavirus cases reported in the country had been on the rise in the last four weeks.

“In the last four weeks, we‘ve recorded a spike in the number of new COVID-19 cases. The virus is spreading fast, causing mild symptoms in some and severe illness/death in others,” he tweeted.

The NCDC boss said Nigerians must note that the 100,000 persons that contracted COVID-19 in the last 11 months were not just figures but persons.

“Most important of all, the 100,000 cases and over 1,000 deaths are not just numbers. These are fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, children, friends whose deaths will be mourned and the pain of their loss deeply felt. The response starts and ends with the people of this country,” he said.

Later at the PTF press conference, Ihekweazu, disclosed that the centre would from next week roll out rapid diagnosis test kits in five tertiary hospitals in Abuja while the facility would be extended nationwide from February.

Also at the press conference, the National Coordinator of the PTF, Dr Sani Aliyu, said the Federal Government was considering extension of the curfew hours as part of its response to the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.

At the peak of the first wave of the pandemic, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), had in April 2020 declared an 8pm-to-6am curfew. It was eventually relaxed to 10pm-4am and later 12am to 4am, which still exists to date.

But Aliyu said the Federal Government was in talks with the state governments on the review of the curfew.

The PTF coordinator also sensitised health workers to patients who present persistent fever “especially if there are respiratory symptoms or shortness of breath; it is possibly going to be COVID.”

Aliyu urged vulnerable persons to “please stay at home,” especially those who were above 60 or are diabetic and other core morbidities.

He said, “While we are not in (another) lockdown yet, it is in your best interest if you fall within this group to lock down because now is the time to actually keep away from the general public and mass gatherings.

READ ALSO:

Foreigners without COVID-19 certificate will lose visas, says NIS

FG Says Major Factor of Covid Deaths Due to Late Presentation of Patients

Another strike looms in varsities as unions kick against FG agreement with ASUU

Continue Reading

COVID-19

FG will Stop Train Services if COVID-19 Cases are Detected —Amaechi

Published

on

Stop Train Services

The Federal Government says it will shut down the Lagos-Ibadan and the Abuja-Kaduna train services should there be any case of Covid-19 detected among passengers
The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, stated this on Monday. He said train users must comply with all Covid-19 protocols from the beginning of every trip to the end.
The minister said, “If we see that we are conveying passengers who have Covid from Lagos to Ibadan and Ibadan to Lagos, we will stop it just like we are threatened to stop the one from Kaduna to Abuja if people don’t comply with the Covid protocols.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
“Don’t forget that on Kaduna-Abuja, we convey 4,000 passengers in a day. Imagine that about 20 per cent have Covid, they can transmit Covid to the entire passengers. The rate of transmission will be high. The same is applicable to Lagos. Everybody must comply with the Covid protocols, wear your masks till the end of the journey.”
The minister also added that the $1.6bn Lagos-Ibadan railway project which would be completed this month would be inaugurated virtually by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).
The Nigerian Railway Corporation had in December 2020 commenced operations for the Lagos-Ibadan railway, a standard gauge rail mainland
covering a distance of 156km.

Read Also:

Gunmen Attack Bullion Van In Ebonyi State, Kill Four Policemen(Opens in a new browser tab)

Breaking-Akwa Ibom deputy governor has resigned amidst rumored defection to APC(Opens in a new browser tab)

EDO ELECTION: Court Disqualifies Ize-Iyamu Running Mate(Opens in a new browser tab)

2-year-old tests positive for Coronavirus in Ogun State(Opens in a new browser tab)

Continue Reading
COVID-19 PREVENTION

infectious diseases in your community. It is very important to wash your hand frequently with soap under running water.

COVID-19 IS REAL

#COVID19NIGERIA Situation Report

The #COVID19Nigeria situation report for 21st July, 2020 has been published. Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria

The #COVID19Nigeria situation report for 21st July, 2020 has been published. Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria

@Africa CDC

The African Union and Africa CDC will virtually rollout the Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) in Africa tomorrow 4 June, 2020 at 11.00 am Eastern Africa Time.

The African Union and Africa CDC will virtually rollout the Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) in Africa tomorrow 4 June, 2020 at 11.00 am Eastern Africa Time.

GALLANT OFFICER

Gallant Officer
"Also found worthy of honour was Bashir Abubakar, an Asst Comptroller-General of Customs, who rejected a bribe of $412,000 per container offered him by drug traffickers seeking to bring 40 containers of Tramadol into Nigeria. A fine example of incorruptibility, worthy of emulation"

Currency Calculator

Currency Calculator

Amount
From :
To :

Trending