Connect with us

Newsroom

Boko haram: Zulum tables 6 recommendation for Buhari

Published

on

Boko Haram

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum on Monday listed 6 recommendations for consideration by President Muhammadu Buhari in response to the lingering Boko Haram crisis in the northeast.

Zulum made the observation when presidential delegation led by the President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmed Lawan visited him on Tuesday in Maiduguri.

The delegation was in Borno, on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari and the Federal Government, to commiserate and identify with the family of the victims, the Government and the people of Borno State over the incident.

6 key recommendations which if implemented will solve a decade long insurgency in Borno Zulum said, these are ;

1.Ensure immediate recruitment of Borno youth into the armed forces to supplement the military.

2.Ensure the engagement of services of neighbours, Chad, Niger and Cameroon in clearing the remnants of the insurgents along the shores of Lake Chad.

3. Engage the services of mercineries to clear Sambisa game reserve.

4. Provide mine resistant armoured carriers and other equipment to the military and para military.

5. Support the state government in repatriation of refugees in Niger and Cameroon.

6. Increase the means of livlilhood to the people of Borno.

“After 11 years, insurgency still persist, We have made those recommendations for Mr President’s kind consideration, kindly assist in ensuring that our recommendations have reached to the President.” Zulum said.

Governor Zulum noted that, the north eastern governors have discovered after their meeting last week in Yola, only 45 billion naira was appropriated to the entire region in 2021 budget proposal sent to the national assembly.

“To the national assembly, Mr President North East Governors Forum held it’s meeting in Adamawa last week, we have analysed the 2021 budget proposal. We have discovered that only a paltry sum of 45 billion naira allocated to the entire North East, which constituted on 0.32% of the total budget. Only 45 billion naira allocated for capital expenditure, Mr President with due respect, the correlation between peace and development need not to be overemphasized. With such a budgetry provision peace in the North East will be a nightmare.” Zulum said.

The Governor added, “God has given you the position to become the Senate President you are from the North East, the Chief Whiph of the National Assembly is from Borno State, the Chairman appropriation committee is also from Borno State. We are demanding for justice fairness and equity.”

“Furthermore, Mr President, the Chief Staff to the President, the status of our roads in the entire North East region is very bad. The federal ministry of works and housing has never been fair to the people of the North East, I can remember in the last 20 years no single road is completed by the federal ministry of works and housing.”

“If our major roads are rehabilitated and reconstructed, believe me sincerely the insurgency will be reduced by about 65%. This has been one of our major problem.”

“Furthermore, we also noted a complete absence of budgetry provision with respect to the Mambila power project in the year 2021 budget.”

“Another issue is in respect to COVID-19 stimulus, federal government budgeted the sum of over 3 trillion to tame the impact of COVID-19 pandemic. Your Excellency till this moment no MDA has contacted any of state in the North East.”

“We are completely shortchanged, Your Excellency, it is disheartening to that sequel to the end SARS protest, I have observed the reaction by Nigerians including the national assembly members. people are calling for a compensation to those killed across the nation, thousands of people were killed in Borno State, and indeed in the entire North East region, nobody ever attempted to provide any compensation to anyone.”

“That is the reason why, when national economic council resolved for states to constitute a judicial council i refused to do so and i will not do it. Nobody has ever said judicial commission of enquiry should be set up, either by state government or federal government to investigate the activities of Boko Haram and the excesses of the Nigerian military in the state, sabotage among others.”

Click to Watch Our YouTube Videos

“This morning before you came in, i have watched in TVC that the Chief of Naval Staff is inaugurating projects to improve the welfare of the logistics command in Ogara. While we have been pleading to the Chief of Naval Staff for the last two years for them to re-establish their base in Baga, they need a very small amount, but up to now they refused to heed to our own request. With this circumstances, people should take note that peace in Borno State entails peace in the North East.”

“Believe me sincerely, when Borno falls the entire country will be consumed.”

Earlier, the President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmed Lawan has commiserated on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari with the government and people of Borno State on the recent attack on farmers by gunmen suspected to be members of Boko Haram.

The Senate President assured of the Federal Government’s commitment to ending the insurgency in the northeast and Borno in particular.

He also said, the President has ordered the Nigerian Military to take the fight against insurgency to their enclaves in a sustained manner.

The delegation led by Governor Babagana Umara Zulum paid a visit to the Shehu of Borno, Abubakar Umar Garbai Elkanemi and later to Zabarmari to condole with the families of the slain farmers.

Read Also:

Police Rescue Soldiers Captured By Boko Haram Insurgents(Opens in a new browser tab)

Zulum – No Network in Borno Local Government Areas(Opens in a new browser tab)

Borno State Governor Convoy Attacked By Gunmen(Opens in a new browser tab)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Naija News

BREAKING: Trump leaves White House

Published

on

Trump leaves

Outgoing US President Donald Trump has left the White House today, January 20, 2021.

Trump took off from the lawn of the White House in the company of his wife Melania.

The helicopter which conveyed the President took him around the premises of the White House to give him a final view before arriving at Joint Base Andrews.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

The event took place ahead of the inauguration of incoming President Joe Biden and incoming Vice President Kamala Harris.

Biden who defeated Trump at the US presidential election of November 3, 2020, will be sworn-in today at 17:00 GMT.

The event will not be attended by Trump who continues to maintain his claim that the election was stolen from him.

The inauguration will, however, be graced by the outgoing Vice President Mike Pence, Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell and other GOP leaders.

READ ALSO:

YouTube extends ban on Trump channel ahead of inauguration

BON Names Only Five Candidates For Preside

ntial DebateU.S Congress Confirms Biden’s Election Win; Certification Confirmed

Continue Reading

Naija News

YouTube extends ban on Trump channel ahead of inauguration

Published

on

YouTube ban

Google-owned YouTube on Tuesday confirmed it extended a ban on new video being added to US President Donald Trump’s channel due to the potential for inciting violence.

The weeklong suspension of uploading or streaming live video to Trump’s channel had been set to lift on the eve of President-elect Joe Biden taking the oath of office.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

“In light of concerns about the ongoing potential for violence, the Donald J. Trump channel will be prevented from uploading new videos or livestreams for an additional minimum of seven days,” YouTube said in response to an AFP inquiry.

“As we shared previously, comments will continue to be indefinitely disabled under videos from the channel.”

Trump’s access to the social media platforms he has used as a megaphone during his presidency has been largely cut off since a violent mob of his supporters stormed the Capitol in Washington DC on January 6.

Operators say the embittered leader could use his accounts to foment more unrest aimed at Biden’s inauguration on Wednesday.

YouTube last week suspended Trump’s channel “for at least seven days” and removed a video for violating its policy against inciting violence, joining other social media platforms in banning his accounts after the deadly Capitol riot.

Facebook suspended Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts following the violent invasion of the US Capitol, which temporarily disrupted the certification of Biden’s election victory.

In announcing the suspension, Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg said Trump used the platform to incite violence and was concerned he would continue to do so. Twitter went a step further by deleting Trump’s account, depriving him of his favorite platform. It was already marking his tweets disputing the election outcome with warnings.

Trump also was hit with suspensions by services like Snapchat and Twitch.

READ ALSO:

House Democrats would impeach Trump for ‘incitement of insurrection’ – CNN

Trump shuns Biden as new President’s inauguration holds today

COVID-19: Technology firms summoned over ‘crackpot’ 5G conspiracies

Continue Reading

Naija News

FG to pay 24.3 million poor Nigerians N729bn, says minister

Published

on

poor Nigeria

The Federal Government on Tuesday said about 24.3 million poor Nigerians would get N5,000 each for a period of six months. This translates to N729bn within the six-month period.
Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, disclosed this at the inauguration of the Federal Government’s emergency intervention database for the urban poor.
A statement issued in Abuja by the minister’s aide, Nneka Anibeze, said the intervention would serve as cushion for those further impoverished by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The statement read in part, “According to records, about 24.3 million poor and vulnerable individuals were identified at the end of 2020 and registered into the National Social Register.

YOU CAN FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

“Each beneficiary will receive N5,000 for a period of six months.”

Farouq said the intervention database was needed to develop the capacity for rapid response to any emergency including natural or man-made disasters.

The minister said the Rapid Response Register was designed to rapidly identify, register and provide succour to people who were not previously captured in the social register.

Speaking on the RRR, the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, said the register deployed a wholly technology-based approach, adding that it was primed to achieve an end-to-end digital foot-print in cash transfers for the urban poor.

This, he said, would also help the government to achieve its financial inclusion policy under the Enhancing Financial Innovation and Access programme.

He said, “The groundbreaking success of the RRR now emboldens us to achieve our aspiration of a social security programme for a minimum of 20 million Nigerians in the next two years. This will be the largest of its kind on the continent.”

Osinbajo also hinted that the Federal Government would seek funding for the intervention programmes as the country deserved a social security scheme that would not only alleviate poverty but also create wealth for millions of those waiting for the opportunity.

READ ALSO:

More Nigerians to Benefit From National Social Investment Programmes – Umar Farouq

10,000 Protesters Defy Thai Crackdown After Emergency Decree

COVID-19: Adamawa bans gatherings of more than 50 people

 

Continue Reading
COVID-19 PREVENTION

infectious diseases in your community. It is very important to wash your hand frequently with soap under running water.

COVID-19 IS REAL

#COVID19NIGERIA Situation Report

The #COVID19Nigeria situation report for 21st July, 2020 has been published. Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria

The #COVID19Nigeria situation report for 21st July, 2020 has been published. Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria

@Africa CDC

The African Union and Africa CDC will virtually rollout the Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) in Africa tomorrow 4 June, 2020 at 11.00 am Eastern Africa Time.

The African Union and Africa CDC will virtually rollout the Partnership to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing (PACT) in Africa tomorrow 4 June, 2020 at 11.00 am Eastern Africa Time.

GALLANT OFFICER

Gallant Officer
"Also found worthy of honour was Bashir Abubakar, an Asst Comptroller-General of Customs, who rejected a bribe of $412,000 per container offered him by drug traffickers seeking to bring 40 containers of Tramadol into Nigeria. A fine example of incorruptibility, worthy of emulation"

Currency Calculator

Currency Calculator

Amount
From :
To :

Trending